Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the pioneer and recognized leader in Cloud Computing. Our web services provide a platform for IT infrastructure in-the-cloud that is used by hundreds of thousands of developers and businesses around the world. These customers range from start-ups to leading web companies to Global 500 Enterprise companies in multiple vertical markets.
As AWS rapidly grows the business and team in Europe, we are seeking a Senior Business Manager (right hand man / woman) to our Managing Director (MD). The core mission of the Senior Business Manager is to ensure that our MD’s time is spent in a maximally effective manner. This person will serve as a reflection of the MD and will work very close with the MD to eliminate non-essential tasks, maximize efficiency, and ensure the MD’s time is spent on the highest-leverage and most valuable activities.
The right person will have a bias for action, insatiable curiosity, will naturally take ownership, think big, and will be able to invent & simplify MD created initiatives and programs. He or She will be a highly strategic, astute, dynamic, structured, highly-organized and an extremely resourceful challenge-seeker, who is able to wear multiple hats. The selected individual will interface with the majority of people the MD deals with professionally and personally and, thus, must be a first-class communicator, demonstrate a high level of emotional-intelligence, and be able to convey the MD’s desired message effectively, earning trust at all times. The Senior Business Manager will insist on incredibly high standards and need to be an excellent writer; able to communicate directly and honesty while also being compassionate and empathetic.
The selected individual will follow-through/execute on critical and recurring items the MD passes off. Therefore the Senior Business Manager must be comfortable with both strategy and analysis, as well as execution and carry-through.
The Senior Business Manager will partner daily with the MD and will serve as our MD’s accountability partner to get the MD to perform better and learn how to get to a higher level of contribution. Thus this person must be able to follow directions very well, but also not be afraid to show backbone and communicate to the MD where he could improve. They will learn the “ins and outs” of a day-in day-out life of a hyper-growth company MD, and must be prepared and excited for the challenge.
· Drive to completion MD initiatives; working with other team members to make it happen (execute on the details & bring the right people together). This will include managing regular EMEA wide forecast and pipeline calls
· Project-manage for the MD, ensuring deadlines are being hit and appropriate steps are being taken. Drive management consolidation of reporting, BI, papers to be reviewed, and other strategic or analytical activities
· Own and drive strategically important projects for AWS
· Establish a mentor relationship with the Managing Director and other VPs and Directors to support accelerated development and progression. Effectively network within Amazon to build trust and key contacts to leverage in future roles
· Manage internal communication and reporting of updates, initiatives, and team activities
· Provide an independent perspective and acting as a sounding-board, with a strong truth-seeking bias
· Drive increased implementation of standardization and automation to all areas of the business
· Act as communication liaison for MD when necessary
· Attend certain meetings on the MD’s behalf and ensuring conclusions or action items are communicated
· Assist / replace the MD in managing, attending and hosting key company events
· Provide an interface for AWS into the broader Amazon businesses, across the Leadership teams
· Drive initiatives to fix or improve complex processes, and enable true prioritization for the MD; ensuring his time is focused on the highest value activities and business issues
· Ensure the effectiveness of regular meetings by agreeing/managing agenda and helping presenters to be prepared (e.g., best practices for documents)
· Help the MD identify items that can be delegated, where time allocation should be changed, etc.
· Ensure key learnings are shared across all relevant stakeholders