“Alexa, I’m looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction.” Alexa:
“I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge, UK. What role are you looking for?” You:
“I’d like to work on making you even smarter than you are today.” Alexa:
“Wonderful. There are multiple roles in Cambridge where you can do that, here are the details … ”
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge team combines natural language understanding, acquiring large volumes of structured knowledge, and building autonomous machine reasoning to allow our customers to get answers to their questions in the most natural way possible. We’re part of a huge research and engineering effort on the Amazon Alexa team.
We’ve solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge team in Cambridge help Alexa get smarter by understanding the different ways people talk, by learning more and more facts about the world, by improving her common sense reasoning and by responding in the most natural way possible in multiple languages.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice.
Alexa is part of a huge engineering effort at Amazon, where we deliver genuinely complex and cutting edge technology at truly global scale; there are tens of millions of Alexa devices out there. We have solved so many different problems to get to where we are today but there are many more remaining – your role is to own these problems, think big and answer them.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer at Alexa you will be part of the team of engineers that enables new knowledge to be added to Alexa at scale. We have opportunities for you to work in areas such as big data, distributed scalable systems, server side applications and many more. You will play an integral part in Alexa as we grow at a phenomenal rate.
You have industry-leading technical abilities and your responsibilities will include:
- Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team. Contributing to team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
- Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code that meets complex requirements and is massively scalable.
- Involvement at all stages of the software development cycle, including designing and developing significant new architectural systems and improvements.
- Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components; maintaining production code and contributing to deployment and QA processes.
- Working closely with other technical teams and product team to deliver on the company’s technical vision.
- Part of a team that operationally owns its services.
- Mentoring junior engineers in software development and building scalable robust systems.
- Improving the operational health and architecture of the systems you own.