Amazon Web Service (AWS) operates 44 Availability Zones (AZs) within 16 geographic Regions around the world, with announced plans for 17 more AZs and six more Regions in 2017, making AWS one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. Amazon’s AWS Data Centers (DC) are a major component of worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure and are industry leading examples of mission critical facilities.
Engineers in AWS work to design resilient, cost effective DC facilities. We are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers and drive to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, and efficiency, while finding new ways to meet AWS’s growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make directly to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs. As an Engineer at AWS you will have the opportunity to impact changes in our current design, as well as establish design procedures and protocols for future systems.
AWS Engineering is responsible for the design of all electrical and mechanical systems within all of Amazon DCs world-wide. The team works directly with operations, security teams, field engineering, and construction management to implement designs that are functional, practical and innovative.
The team is seeking a Senior DC Infrastructure Engineering Manager, with hands-on mission critical equipment/system design and implementation experience, to become part of our global engineering team. As a Senior Engineering Manager you will be part of a highly creative and effective leadership team comprised of Architects, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, and Control Engineers, tasked with developing regional strategies for capacity delivery and challenging the status quo. You will be responsible for delivery of projects, applying design quality controls, and providing technical guidance to team members. As a subject matter expert, you will be responsible for the design of prototypical DC facilities, localization of conceptual innovations, solve large scale implementation issues, and build a strong relationships with the regional industry.
Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%
Responsibilities of the Senior DC Infrastructure Engineering Manager
The Senior DC Infrastructure Engineering Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Develop strategic solutions which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary and redundancy requirements.
- Conceives, initiates, and leads projects with widespread impact on infrastructure design, innovation, and implementation.
- Sets the standard for engineering, test, and best practices. Drives process improvements across the organization.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward and actionable solutions.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support our data centers.
- Provide technical oversight of the Regional Electrical and Mechanical Basis of Design (BOD).
- Serve as a technical advisor for AWS datacenter electrical and mechanical designs.
- Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction and certification agencies to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.